Sunday, February 22, 2009

Randy Pausch's: Last Lecture

Randy Pausch's Achieving Your Childhood Dreams is a great lecture. Randy makes many points during his lecture, but the ones that stuck out to me were first that; You have to be good at something: It make you valuable. In the world today there are not as many opportunities and will not be as many until the economy gets back on its feet. To be good at something makes you a better resource to the place that you work.
One other point that he makes is that you will encounter brick walls. When you reach the brick walls you can either stand there or find your way around them. "You can get more out of not achieving a dream than you can if you do achieve it." You learn more this way, it shows you what you want and maybe what you can not have and in the end you deal with defeat and maybe find a way to reach the goal next time. Not always getting what you want can be a learning process that some people need in order to progress in their own life.
My favorite point that he made was to have fun. In all things that are done in life, a person should have fun doing them; otherwise what is the point? Randy informs his audience in beginning of his lecture that he has 6 months to live. He is dying from cancer of the liver. Randy also goes to say that he does not want to talk about it, he is here to talk about childhood dreams, not cancer. During his whole presentation he never acts like a dying man. I forgot a few times of his situation and when it hit me again I sat there in amazement at his upbeat attitude.
This lecture was not something that I would of ever pick off of You Tube to watch but I am glad that I did. Seeing someone who has death standing at their back door, and yet they are so alive; makes me want to do the things that I have always want to do, that way when my time comes I will have no regrets. I hope that I am as good of a teacher as him and can use some of his advice in my classroom and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment