Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Edible Schoolyard and A Night in the Global Village

These podcast were amazing. I watched the Edible Classroom first and I was surprised to see such an elaborate garden at a school. Children will learn so much more by having their hands touching and feeling what they are doing. Learning the skills in the kitchen are not something that is taught as much as it should be in the home. Having a class where the students not only grow and pick from a garden but they learn how to cook with it is awesome. The garden would be a great way to integrate social studies, science, math, and much more into your classroom. The garden, which was originally started by Alice Waters in order to make the cafeteria more healthy has become apart of life at Martin Luther King School.
The second podcast that I watched was the Night in the global Village. This was a place where children went to stay for one night. While at the Global Village they were assigned a certain lifestyle from a certain part of the world. They were given limited resources and force to bargain with others for food and firewood. This Program is designed to show children what life it like outside the United States.
Both podcast were eye opening. The Global Village is something that I did not know existed and I wish that I had had that experience of staying the night at as a child, or even now! Children, and I, take what we have for granted so much these days and with a place like this it could really turn a child around.
The Edible Garden is something that I would like to have at my school. Maybe not as large as what this school had but possibly a classroom garden where the children would still be hands on. Children love to feel apart of their surroundings and by allowing them to take charge and have a garden I think that it would really help them to grow and develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment